LaRuby May knows how to build things: campaigns, policy, cases, and trust. She has spent her entire career finding gaps in the community and doing what it takes to get residents the services and resources they deserve. It is no different in her work at May Lightfoot—the only personal injury law firm in Ward 8.
At May Lightfoot, May continues her quest to provide high-quality legal services to residents and small businesses in emerging corridors, helping clients build connections and harness their knowledge and power to make the right investments. As a former Ward 8 Councilmember, real estate developer, and constituent services director, May is experienced in making residents partners in their own growth.
May is involved in the firm’s personal injury, workers compensation, civil rights and mass torts practice areas. She has represented individuals and estates ranging from accidents to wrongful death. May is also involved in legal advocacy around issues that impact the community, specifically May has participated on numerous panels. These panels include Nuts and Bolts of Mass Torts, Developing a Multi-Million Dollar Civil Trial Practice, What is your Legacy, preparing for end of life, American University Women in Politics Institute: Women in the law and Public Leadership Education Network ask a Lawyer Series.
Currently Ms. May serves as the Chairman of the United Medical Center, the only public hospital in the District of Columbia. In this role, May continues to serve residents through a comprehensive approach of oversight in the delivery of health care services for the District poor and most vulnerable residents.
- District of Columbia
- University of the District of Columbia David Clarke School of Law, J.D., 2006
- George Washington University, M.A., 2000
- Eckerd College, B.A., 1997
- United Medical Center Not-for-Profit, Board of Directors, Chair
- Eckerd College National Advisory Council
- Women’s Bar Association, Women in Politics Committee, Co-Chair
- Mayor Muriel Bowser Transition Committee, Co-chair Economic Development & Jobs
- State of Florida Certified General Contractor
- Former Ward 8 Council Member